Treating Hallux Limitus & Hallux RigidusAugust 13, 2016
Treatments: Foot PainAugust 16, 2016
Did you know, the average person will walk approximately 400 million miles during their lifetime, which is the equivalent of circling the globe – twice. Don’t neglect your feet! Follow these simple foot care tips, from Nagler Foot Center, to maintain healthy feet.
- Pay attention: inspect your feet and note any changes in their appearance
- Wear SPF 30+ sunscreen: don’t neglect the tops of your feet if they’re exposed to the sun.
- Trim toenails straight across; never clip toenails at a corner angle or along the edges of the nail
Gently use pumice stone, or a natural exfoliating scrub, to slough dead skin. Don’t overdo, or callouses will return even worse.
- Choose natural moisturizing lotions, such as coconut oil and/or shea butter
- Avoid walking barefoot to protect your feet from injury.
- Eat fruits, vegetables and leafy greens for a healthy balance of electrolytes (calcium, sodium, potassium, and magnesium) to support muscle health.
- Replace worn-out insoles for best, comfort-fit and proper arch support
- Replace cracked, broken or missing heel caps. Unsightly, broken or missing heel caps will cause imbalance and an uneven gait.
- Choose shoes made from natural materials, like canvas or leather, and avoid synthetic fabrics including plastic, vinyl or rubber.
Manage the Summer Sweat
Did you know there are more sweat glands in your feet compared to anywhere else on your body? Approximately 250,000 sweat glands that produce up to one cup of perspiration every day. Skin flora, or healthy bacteria, break down sweat and create ideal conditions for bad bacteria to grow.
- Dry feet thoroughly.
- Wear shoes that fit and allow airflow; choose moisture-wicking sox, when possible.
- Wear fresh sox and shoes each day: never wear the same pair of shoes two days in a row to ward against bacteria growth
And finally, visit Houston’s Foot Doc, Dr. Sherman Nagler every six months to maintain healthy feet. Contact Nagler Foot Center at 713-893-5620 or visit www.foothouston.com to schedule an appointment.